What Is It?
Move and Grow is a Judo program for elementary schools.
Our goal is to promote physical literacy in elementary schools by teaching kids fundamental movement skills (balance, coordination, …) in their Physical Education classes as well as providing teachers with the resources needed to be able to teach Judo basics confidently and safely.
The child, through an assiduous practice of Judo, develops its strength, speed, flexibility, coordination, reflexes, concentration, balance, resistance, personality, self-confidence and knowledge of one’s own body.
Due to constantly changing situations, in the practice of Judo, the child is obliged to stimulate his “tactical reflection”.
Judo does not encourage aggressiveness; through his relationship with his comrades, the child learns to cooperate, respect and develop self-control.
Judo is practiced without blows and without kicks in its initial phase, which is safer for children when they begin the practice of a martial art.
Even though it is a martial art originally, Judo transmits in its practice a certain culture and traditions like respect, discipline, emotional balance, and introduces many other values in the daily habits of children.
How Does It Work?
Judo BC provides training for National Coaching Certification Program Coaches who want to deliver the program Move and Grow in schools.
Schools can choose between different formulas on how develop the program into the school.
Judo Coaches use basic equipment that most schools already have available. The course takes place in gymnasium. We need blue mats and let’s go!
Package Bronze #1 – Resource Package
- Teacher Manual (with 6 lesson plans and fun games)
- Cost: $40
Package Silver #2 – PD Day or In-School Session to Teachers
- Time: 1 hour (Retreat)
- Cost: $150
- Our trained instructor will assist and work with your teachers, setting out the Move and Grow aims and objectives and demonstrate how the activities fit into the Physical Education curriculum learning outcomes.
- This is an active session! Teachers have the opportunity to try the activities to increase their understanding of the basics Judo and the learning process that the students will experience.
Package Gold #3 – Physical Education Class Instruction to Students
- Time: 5 hours (Recommended time frame: Primary grades: 30 minutes)
- Cost: $1 by kid (minimum 20 students by class)
- Our trained instructor will lead your students through a Move and Grow session. This formula provides teachers with the opportunity to see the Move and Grow program in action with their students. (*Teachers are required to remain in the gym during the instruction)
Package Platine #4 – All Inclusive Formula
- Cost: $120 + $1 by kid (Recommended time frame: Primary grades: 30 minutes)
- Time: 6 hours
- Includes everything from packages 1, 2 and 3 (1-hour teacher session, 5-hours of in class instruction and a resource package)
If you do not see an option that fits your needs, please contact us to work on a personalized program for your school.
Sandra Le Bris
Judo BC Programs